Wonderfully cozy roasted vegetable butternut squash lasagna packed with a rainbow of veggies and the perfect balance of sweet & savory flavor. This vegetarian butternut squash lasagna recipe is easy to make and filled with warming spices. Don’t forget those incredible layers of melted cheese in every bite! Comfort food at its finest.
Serious question: is there anything better than layers of roasted veggies, noodles and cheese piled high and bubbling hot? Didn’t think so. Ever since I made my famous turkey lasagna years ago I’ve been in LOVE with creating deliciously savory, cozy lasagna recipes that warm you up from the inside out.
To celebrate fall and all things comfort food, I made you an incredible roasted vegetable butternut squash lasagna filled with everything you could want in a comforting dinner. There are 5 different types of veggies roasted to perfection and snuggled between layers of noodles, cheese, and two types of sauce. Instead of red sauce, we’re making a sweet & savory spiced butternut squash sauce, plus a traditional ricotta layer. All I can say is HOT DAMN this might just be your new fav lasagna recipe that just so happens to be vegetarian.
I highly recommend adding this goodness to your Thanksgiving menu for all of your veggie family and friends! I included plenty of ways to prep it ahead of time and even freeze it before or after baking so that you can have a wonderful dinner in no time at all. Happy cooking!
What you’ll need to make this butternut squash lasagna
This delicious roasted vegetable lasagna is layered up with beautiful roasted veggies, a classic ricotta mixture, sweet & savory butternut squash, and of course, plenty of melted cheese. It’s truly the perfect vegetarian comfort food! Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- For the roasted veggies: we’re using red bell pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, baby bella mushrooms and zucchini. A true rainbow of veggies in this lasagna! You’ll roast them up with olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- For the butternut squash: the squash will create a creamy, flavorful sauce layer instead of using traditional tomato sauce in the lasagna. You’ll start by roasting a large butternut squash (get all of our tips & tricks for prepping your squash here!) then blending the flesh with milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, salt and pepper.
- For the noodles: you’ll of course need some lasagna noodles to layer it all up!
- For the ricotta mixture: we’re alternating the veggies and butternut squash sauce with a savory ricotta layer made from ricotta, an egg, salt and pepper. Easy.
- For the layers: what’s lasagna without melty cheese? I like to use shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- To garnish: add a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley for a beautiful garnish.
Easy ways to customize
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s what I can recommend substituting and customizing in this roasted vegetable lasagna recipe:
- Choose your veggies. Feel free to mix and match the roasted veggies with any you have on-hand, or use more of one veggie than another! You really can’t go wrong.
- Go gluten free. You can also make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free lasagna noodles.
- Simplify the spices. Out of any of the warming spices? Feel free to use a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead!
- Swap the squash. I love the flavor that butternut squash adds to the cozy sauce, but roasted sweet potato should work well or you can try my pumpkin lasagna.
Can I use no-cook lasagna noodles?
I don’t love using no-cook noodles because they tend to have a different texture, but if you’re in a pinch (or only have no-cook on hand) feel free to use them!
Our best lasagna-making tips
Homemade lasagna may look a bit intimidating because of all of the different components, but with these tips & tricks you’ll be making the BEST roasted veggie butternut squash lasagna like a pro:
- Don’t overcook the noodles. Make sure to boil the noodles just until al dente, not fully cooked, because they’ll cook more when you bake the entire lasagna. No one likes mushy noodles!
- Use room temperature ricotta. The ricotta mixture is easiest to mix with room temp ingredients, so I suggest letting the container of ricotta and the egg sit out a bit to come to room temp.
- Pre-cook layers to save time. This butternut squash lasagna is easy to make but it is a bit time-intensive, so feel free to cut down on the prep and cooking by r0asting the veggies and butternut squash up to 3 days ahead of time! Get all of our tips for roasting butternut squash here!
Prep this lasagna ahead of time
This roasted vegetable butternut squash lasagna is the perfect make ahead meal to serve a vegetarian crowd (and makes amazing leftovers!) To make it ahead of time simply assemble the lasagna completely as directed, cover and place it in the refrigerator one day before serving. It’s the perfect way to save time if you’re making this for Thanksgiving. When you’re ready to serve, bake it up as directed and enjoy!
Two ways to freeze butternut squash lasagna
This easy roasted vegetable lasagna recipe makes the best freezer-friendly meal! Here are two great ways to freeze it:
- Bake first, then freeze. You can either bake it first, then cool to room temperature, slice into servings, place in freezer safe containers and then freeze. Or you can bake it, bring it to room temp, and then freeze the entire pan. Just make sure you double wrap it so the lasagna does not dry out. This is assuming you are freezing the entire pan. Once ready to reheat, thaw it out. Then bake, covered at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.
- Freeze before baking: To freeze before baking, simply assemble the lasagna as written in the instructions, then double wrap with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Once ready to bake, thaw out then bake according to instructions.
More recipes for your Thanksgiving table
- Herb Butter Maple Roasted Turkey
- Dad’s Creamy & Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
- Spinach Bacon Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Cranberry Pecan Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Blow Ya Mind Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Pot Pie
Get all of our amazing Thanksgiving recipes here, and more delicious comfort foods here! Remember to sign up for the Ultimate Thanksgiving Series, too.
I hope you love this cozy roasted vegetable butternut squash lasagna! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!